Memorial Tree Standard
Title Heading link
Updated procedures for memorial trees on UIC campuses – 02/2021
* This standard applies to all trees on State supported grounds at UIC.
To manage the limited open green space on UIC’s campus and avoid planting in future construction sites, a new standard, based on the recommendations of the 2018 Master Plan Update, has been developed for memorial trees at UIC.
According to the new standard, newly-planted trees will no longer be approved for memorialization. Instead, existing, campus-owned trees (based on the UIC ArborScope tree inventory) will be recommended for donors to select for memorials. Requesting colleges and units must donate $900 to memorialize a tree, which will be used to support the maintenance of the UIC tree canopy.
- For their donation, donors will be able to memorialize an existing tree based from the UIC ArborScope tree inventory.
- The $900 donation is based on the average cost for planting and maintaining a newly planted tree plus the cost of producing a memorial tree tag/medallion.
- A UIC medallion will be attached to the tree, containing the tree’s ID information, brief text regarding the purpose of the memorial and a QR code linking to the tree’s full information webpage.
- Additional information regarding the tree dedication would be reflected on the tree’s ID page on the ArborScope inventory website, accessed through the QR code.
- Bronze plaques with granite base will no longer be offered with memorial trees, as well as the planting of new trees with the sole intention of commemorative purposes.
- Tree dedications must be approved before donor agreements are finalized. Please send all tree dedication inquiries via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can learn more about the UIC tree canopy through the ArborScope online tree inventory.